Ever wonder how to boil the perfect egg? Sometimes they turn out exactly as planned, sometimes they crumble into a dry mess when you peel them. It took me years and lots of wasted effort to find a consistent way of boiling eggs, when really it is super simple.
- Add your raw eggs (no piercing the shell!) into a pot and just cover them with cold water.
- Don’t put the lid on the pot. Turn the burner on high and watch carefully for the water to come to a boil.
- As soon as you see rolling bubbles, put the lid on the pot and remove it from the heat.
- Set your timer:
- For soft boiled eggs that are still slightly runny: 6-6.5 minutes.
- For medium boiled eggs that are set but still soft (like the picture): 6.5-7 minutes.
- For hard boiled eggs (like you’d want in egg salad): 7-7.5 minutes
- As soon as the timer goes off, dump the hot water from the pot and fill it with cold tap water. Voila! Perfect eggs every time.